Header Title and JS

original christmas rocknroll stpats easter beltane superheroes movies seasonscolours worldcup update pirates footy animals halloween mii simpsons shrek gaming 2009 2012

The Family Bandwagon

Our family is spread out across the country and across the world, and what better way to keep in touch than a collaborative digital journal?

Tuesday 29 May 2007

Working working working

Hello family,

Good to hear what everyone has been up to. I've also been pretty busy lately. I've been on a couple of trips for work. Two weeks ago I headed to Germany and Italy - more specifically, I went to Bad Durkheim, Modena, Genoa and Turin. The picture below is me outside the Cathedral in Genoa. As you can see, the weather was sunny and warm. The next photo down is one of the streets in Modena. I really like the colours of the buildings and the shutters.

taking a break by the Cathedral
The trip was fairly busy - I spent two nights in Bad Durkheim and Modena and one night in each of the other cities. I had some really long days - I was up between 5.30am and 6am most mornings.

Brighter Modena streetIt wasn't all work though - I did have enough time in the evenings to wander around the city and take some photos - I've made a flickr collection for the work trips (I've also put my "Australia" photos into a collection and made one for my trip last year - I think it's easier to manage than having hundreds of photos in one album).

One of the things I quite enjoyed in Italy was apperitifs. In particular, Spritz - a wine with some Campari. The wine was served along with some 'finger food' - olives, foccacia, cheese. Tasty! Ooh, another tasty treat from Italy (Genoa actually) is cheese foccacia. It's not what I would have thought of as cheese foccacia - it's thinner than foccacias in Australia, and the cheese is melted inside - the result is VERY rich and VERY tasty!

After a week of rain in Manchester (truly), it was back to the airport and off to Poznan, Poland. Again the weather was beautiful, almost too hot.

Town HallThe food was incredible - I arrived around lunch time and had fruit soup (truly, hot soup made from strawberries and other berries.. with noodles). I also had Polish donuts, steamed dumplings with Napoli sauce, various pasta dumplings and a Polish version of Mexican! I don't think I've eaten so much in a week before (except maybe when I spent a week visiting Mum and Dad *grin*).

The photo to the right is Poznan Town Hall. You might be able to make out the dark coloured clock on the front. Every day at midday, the doors above this clockface open and out come two mechanical goats. The goats butt each others head twelve times and so many people (like me) stand around and watch it. The goats are a symbol of Poznan.

I got home Friday night - glad I got a long weekend this weekend to recover. It might seem like I'm just having a lot of fun, but I promise I'm working hard.

Keep posting!

2 comments:

  1. Great to hear about what you're up to. I'll check out the photos when I get a chance. I've worked three days in a row this week. Ready for a day for myself.
    I saw the rain in England on one of the sports reports. we had a very wet day here yesterday as well. Luckily we didn't get the storms that Ballarat had.Look forwrd to more blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! I saw your destinations on Google Calendar and wondered how you got so lucky to be sent around places for work ;-). Sounds like you've been having fun, despite the early mornings.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.